When are plans required to be prepared or sealed by a Professional (Architect or Engineer)?
Generally, plans for construction work involving single family dwellings are not required to be prepared by an architect or engineer, however, some special features not covered by the prescriptive requirements of the codes may require a design to be prepared by a Kansas Registered Design Professional.

Some of the special features that may require plans to be sealed by a licensed professional:

• Walls that are subject to hydrostatic pressure from groundwater;
• Retaining walls that will support fill with a depth of 4 Feet or more;
• Foundation walls exceeding 9-feet in height;
• Footings and foundations that are placed on fill;
• Foundations that are placed on slopes steeper than 4:1 before grading;
• Foundations that are supported on unlike materials such as part on soil and part on rock strata;
• Foundation walls with an unbroken (straight) line exceeding 30-feet;
• Concrete slabs that are located over accessible space that have a clear span of greater than 4-feet in any direction;
• Trusses.

Plans for all new buildings and additions or substantial improvements to existing commercial use buildings are required to have sealed plans by an Architect licensed by the State of Kansas.

Show All Answers

1. Where do I apply for a permit?
2. What work requires a permit?
3. What documents do I need to submit with my building permit application?
4. What is a site (plot) plan?
5. Is a permit required to re-roof a house, accessory structure, garage or commercial building?
6. When are plans required to be prepared or sealed by a Professional (Architect or Engineer)?
7. How long does it take to obtain a building permit?
8. What is the minimum size lot that can be developed?
9. How close to a property line can I construct a house or other building?
10. Is a garage required for new home construction?
11. How is my property zoned and what uses are allowed on the property?
12. What work requires licensed contractors?
13. How do I get information on the Contractor Licensing Program?
14. What are the adopted codes for City of Paola?
15. What makes a room a bedroom?
16. What will my building permit cost?
17. What type of inspections are required?
18. What are the minimum requirements before a new residence can be occupied?
19. Is an escape window required out of the basement of a new residence?
20. What are the minimum requirements for an emergency egress window?
21. Where are smoke detectors required?
22. Are smoke detectors required to be hardwired?
23. What is the rise and run requirements for stairs?
24. When is a handrail required for a stairway?
25. Is a landing required at all exterior doors?
26. When are guardrails required?
27. What is the frost depth?
28. How deep to I need to bury my water lines?
29. How deep do electrical lines need to be buried?
30. Can water piping and electrical wiring be in the same trench?
31. Do I need a permit to install siding on my home?
32. Do I need a permit for replacing windows?
33. Do I need a building permit to fence my yard?
34. How long is a building permit good for?
35. Who do I call for permits, building requirements, code enforcement if I live outside of the City Limits or the Growth Area?
36. Who do I contact about starting / operating a business?