If you are erecting a new fence or removing or replacing an existing fence, a building permit is required. Building permit applications are available at Paola City Hall, 19 East Peoria, or call (913) 259-3611 and an application will be mailed to you.
For your protection, we encourage you to contact the utility location service (1-800-DIG-SAFE) prior to digging post-holes or doing any other digging or excavating
Building Permit Requirements
A site plan or survey including:
- Dimensions and materials of the fence
- Distances from fence and property lines
- Existing or proposed structures and distances to property lines
- Locations of easements or rights-of-way
- Property address
- Property dimensions
The permit fee is due when the permit is issued.
One final inspection is required upon completion of construction. Call (913) 259-3611 to schedule an appointment. Please have permit number available.
The permit fee will be double if any work commences without first obtaining a permit.
A permit becomes null and void if work or construction authorized is not commenced within 180 days, or if construction or work is suspended for a period of 180 days at any time after work or construction is commenced. Permits shall be renewed annually. If a permit is null and void or expired, a new permit application and fee are required.
- All fences shall be constructed of material expressly designed for fences.
- Chain link fences are prohibited in the front yard (for corner lots, see the Building Inspector for special regulations).
- Chain link fences with inserts for opacity are not allowed.
- Developments platted after November 18, 1997 shall have fences along streets only if specified in the landscaping plan and final plat. Fences along street frontages shall be uniform in appearance.
- Fences are not to be built over easements unless a gate with access to the easement is provided.
- Fences in the front yard shall not exceed four feet in height and shall be constructed of decorative materials (picket, wrought iron, split-rail, etc.) Chain link is not considered decorative material.
- Hog wire fences and fences made from scrap material are prohibited.
- No chain link fence shall exceed four feet in height.